Friday, May 29, 2009

Writing VIs with VIs

LabVIEW Scripting officially released today. In case you've been living under a rock (or you never visit LAVA), LabVIEW Scripting is an (until today) internal LabVIEW feature that allows you to write VIs that create, modify, and inspect other VIs. In my 7+ years in LabVIEW R&D, I have worked on *a lot* of products that utilize scripting...VI Analyzer, Simulation Interface Toolkit, and the Ladder Editor, to name a few. I'm really excited that I'll now be able to discuss scripting with the LabVIEW community, since it's been such a big part of my job for so long.

If you're looking to get your feet wet with scripting, I think the best way would be to write a plug-in for the JKI Right-Click Framework. With this framework and LabVIEW Scripting now available, we can write all those little features for the LabVIEW editor that we've always wanted. I know I plan on writing some plug-ins as soon as the framework is available.

Another benefit of the scripting release is that I can post utility VIs to the NI Forums that utilize scripting *without* having to password-protect their diagrams anymore. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment